- This page is about Buttercup as featured in Powerpuff Girls Ω. For other uses, see Buttercup.
|Origin||The Powerpuff Girls|
|Eye Color||Light Green|
|Relatives|| Professor Utonium (Creator/Father)|
|Residence|| Townsville (Formerly)|
Buttercup and her sisters were created in 2003, after Jonathan Utonium tried to create the perfect little girls, with sugar, spice and everything nice. But as he was almost finished, he was pushed by his pet chimp, Jojo, and accidentally hit a strange chemical he was researching. Breaking the flask, this "chemical X", was added to the mixture, resulting in an explosion. Instead of creating regular human beings, Chemical X enhanced their DNA, giving them incredible, superhuman abilities. Buttercup was one of the 4 survivors of the Omega Event in Townsville in 2010.
Five years after the Omega Event, Buttercup and her sister Blossom were awoken by the screams of their third sister, Bubbles, who had a terrible night terror that had her relive the terrible events. Uncharacterically, Buttercup didn't tease or scowl Bubbles for waking her up and instead went back to sleep.
The next day, when they were introduced to their new class, Buttercup did the painful discovery that she wasn't over the loss of her friends and anxious of making new friends. After the introduction, each was given their own guide, her guide would become Eddward. After she heard Eddy, making fun of her, she humiliated him in class, by exposing him as a bully. She later befriended Dexter, Suzy and Tootie. She was embarrased by her actions in class however, when Eddward explained to them what Eddy's backstory was but was assured by Eddward that her reaction was normal.
Buttercup is amongst the youth of Megaville, that had to attend the reveal of the Omega Memorial Spire. Together with her sisters and Dexter, she would later pay their respects to the deceased citizins of Townsville. When Dexter confronted El Tigre in the center of Megaville, she came to his aid as El Tigre was about to kill Dexter. With Blossom tricking in El Tigre in attacking her, Bubbles and Buttercup grabbed his chained fists, he fired at Blossom. This allowed them to tight him down. After he was taken away by the police, Dexter told them the story of El Tigre and how his city was destroyed during the Omega Event, the only city outside the US, to have been hit.
When they returned to school, it was time for science class. Reacting to a comment of Eddward, she asked if there are clubs at school, before specificying to clubs that could interest her. It was then, he revealed that Sensei Jack had a kendo club, sparking immediate interest. In the science class, she had to work together with Eddward and to her displeasure, with Eddy.
Buttercup had a history class, when Mandark sent the regenerator Jason Voorhees to Megaville Junior High. After Sensei Jack went to stop Jason, Dexter encouraged Bubbles and Buttercup to help Jack, believing that not even Jack can hold his own against Jason. Ready for action, Buttercup jumped to occasion
Buttercup along with Bubbles rescued Sensei Jack from being killed by Jason. As Bubbles helped Jack back on his feet, Buttercup attacked Jason, kicking him away from their teacher. They soon learned that the battle wouldn't be as easy as expected however when they discovered that Jason was almost invulnerable. In combat, however, Jack and Buttercup realized the secret of Jason's healing abilities and would order Bubbles to pull out Jason's arm. After Bubbles refused to do it, disgusted by the idea, Buttercup did it for her. Although it was shown to work, Bubbles allowed him to escape her grip, out of surprise. This gave Jason the chance to retrieve his arm and allow it to reattach it.
To undo Bubbles' mistake, Buttercup ripped out Jason's heart, immobilizing the immortal. The heart however had a strange influence on Bubbles and soon she became possessed by it. Just as she was about to take a bite from it, which would finish the incantation and allow Jason to take control over her body, Jack saved her. Bubbles had no memories of what happened. Buttercup quickly realized that it was no coincidence that just as Blossom was nowhere to be found, Jason attacked the schook. She ordered Bubbles to retrieve Otto. Later, after discovering what happened, they went to save Blossom.
After they entered Mandark's fortress, the latter tried to kill them by puttng up a force field, specially designed to keep those with Chemical X enhanced physiologies inside. This backfired however on Mandark as Coop used Megas to break through barrier and save Bubbles, her sisters and Dexter. Bubbles later stood by Blossom's bedside as she recovered.
Being the toughest of the group means her aggression gets the better of her, making her a little reckless and stubborn (but she over came it in the episode "Makes Zen to Me"). She also showed a greedy side in the episode "Moral Decay," to which she knocked out bad guys' teeth for money. She has shown these sides, and a softer side in several episodes. For example, in the episode "Cover Up", she had a soft green blanket that she was obsessed with that she would hug that gave her the confidence to be a better fighter, and she is quite protective over her sisters. She possesses a violent and mean streak not displayed by her sisters. During the birth of the girls in The Powerpuff Girls Movie, she was initially shown to look extremely happy with wide eyes and an open mouthed smile up to the point where, last of the three girls, Professor Utonium said he would name her Buttercup because, like both of her sisters' names, it also begins with a B. Once she heard this, Buttercup immediately crossed her arms and pouted, "Hmph!" This may explain her tough nature. It is also revealed in the movie that Buttercup inspired the other girls to use their powers to fight crime and the forces of evil after she knocks down a giant evil gorilla who caused her to lose her temper with one punch; ironically, she initially apologized profusely for her actions, thinking she would get in trouble with everyone. Her greatest dislike of all time is admitting defeat, because of this, the Powerpuff Girls were able to achieve victory against the Rowdyruff Boys in "The Boys are Back in Town." Her ingredient is spice and her signature color is light green, and is a Tomboy, which is expressed by her aggressive, violent nature, and her dislike of girly things.
In the show The Powerpuff Girls, Buttercup has light green eyes with short black hair in a flip with a small triangular part on her forehead. She wears a light green dress with a black belt, long white socks and Mary Jane shoes. In the Bleedman comics, she wears a green Megaville uniform that involves a green skirt with white panties underneath and top with red bow attached, which makes up her school uniform. Her regular outfit is the same as her cartoon counterpart, albeit drawn with more detail and accuracy because of her now completely human-like physiology.
Powers and Abilities
Buttercup, being of Powerpuff Girl, can use many different powers and abilities. This includes, but not limited to:
- Density Manipulation: Buttercup and her sisters are able to shift their density, taking the form of a puddle of water.
- Electrokinesis: Buttercup and her sisters are able to create electricity, in their signature colors.
- Energy Projection: Buttercup and her sisters are able to create powerful energy blasts from their hand.
- Enhanced Roar: Buttercup and her sisters can roar like a bear, mimicing the beast perfectly.
- Enhanced Senses: Buttercup and her sisters' are highly enhanced.
- Enhanced Hearing: Buttercup and her sisters is able to hear things from vast distances away.
- Enhanced Vision: Buttercup and her sisters can see things that are faraway from her, much further than any regular human could and is able to see things on a microscopic scale.
- Night Vision: Buttercup and her sisters are able to see in darkness.
- Flight: Like all the Powerpuff Girls, she is able to fly and leaves a blue trail behind in the air.
- Guitar Playing: Buttercup is able to play the guitar
- Heat Vision: Buttercup and her sisters are able to heat up objects, with only their eyes.
- Imaginary Friend Creation: Buttercup and her sisters were able to create an imaginary friend together.
- Laser Vision: Also a standard Powerpuff power. Like her flight trail her laser eyes are green.
- Limited Acid Immunity: Buttercup and her sisters have an immunity to most strong acids, remaining unharmed when they would come into contact with acid. She was however harmed by HIM's acid spit.
- Mecha Piloting: Buttercup and her sisters are able to pilot the Mecha, Dynamo, although with mixed results.
- Pyrokinesis: Buttercup and her sisters are able to bend fire in their respective signature colors. This ability ranges from fire-breathing to spontaneous human combustion.
- Size Reduction: Buttercup and her sisters are able to shrink to incredible small seizes at will. The origin of this ability is disputed, but it is likely caused as a side effect of Professor Utonium's shrink ray.
- Sonic Scream: Blossom and Buttercup can produce a sonic scream that can cause great damage. Blossom's and Buttercup's ability however do not surpass Bubbles who has mastered this skill.
- Superhuman Durability: Like all the Powerpuff Girls, she can durate much damage.
- Superhuman Speed: Buttercup and her sisters are able to travel faster than light
- Short-distance Teleportation: Buttercup and her sisters are able to teleport over short distances. It can be assumed that this however just an example of their impressive speed.
- Superhuman Strength: Buttercup like her sisters is very strong but she seems to be the weakest of the three, although Bubbles can only be stronger than her when she's mad.
- Super Spit: Buttercup and her sisters are able to cause explosions, with their spit.
- Temporary Multiplication: Buttercup and her sisters are able to temporary multiply themselves.
- Thermal Resistance: Buttercup and her sisters are able to resist impressive heat.
- Tornado Spin: Buttercup can use this move, having mastered this skill
- X-ray vision: Buttercup is able to view through any material.
- Buttercup is a Type IV Transhuman, being akin to a Demigod.